Monday, October 12, 2009

Their shirts say WHAT?!?!?!?!!

This is my third time trying to save this to my blog. I'm not sure if its my computer or if my internet connection has just been horrible for the past 5 days, but it won't save! When I copy and paste it from my word processor program to this blog page and push publish post th page would just continually load but not post. I am 90% sure it is my internet connection though because my neighbors said they had a hard time with their internet this weekend as well. I jsut don't want you to think I didn't do my blog post ON time. I finished it on Thursday evening. Anyway, I saved the document to a flash drive and came to the lobrary to post it so this SHOULD work perfectly with no flaws :) HOPEFULLY!! Darn you technology!


As I was searching for an article to write my blog post on ON Haaretz.com I actually came across an ad that caught my attention. Now, keep in mind this was a couple of days ago, so I am not EXACTLY sure what the ad said, but I remember the premise. Upon researching the subject matter I discovered it was not an ad, but just a headline. Haaretz was the Israeli newspaper that discovered Israeli Army T-shirts that mock killing Palestinian women and children during the Gaza offense. The t-shirts are absolutely disgusting. I believe that because it was an Israeli newspaper that discovered the t-shirts is the reason I had immense trouble finding the actual article that HAARETZ wrote upon discovery of the t-shirts.

I searched the web for anything I could find about these gross t-shirts and I came across this website that actually shows a picture of them. The t-shirts depict the shooting of Palestinian mothers and children including images of dead babies and destroyed mosque's. The t-shirts were PRINTED for Israeli soldiers after deployment or after they had finished a part of training. The most disturbing of them all, was the one I saw with a huge target on child. The words underneath this picture are "The smaller, the harder". This is speaking to two different points. For one, the smaller the size of the person you are trying to kill, the more difficult it will to hit your target. Secondly, according to a soldier interviewed by the newspaper, because it is a child there is a moral issue. In my opinion the Israeli soldier who committ these crimes during wartime have no moral fiber whatsoever.

Another slogan I read about was, "Won't chill till I confirm a kill". I was so outraged at these slogans! Especially because someone had the audasity to actually put it on a t-shirt and distribute them!! Are you kidding me?! That's ludacris. Of course wartime is difficult and many hard decision need to be made, many concerning life and death. However, I do not think there should ever be a soldier that is that "gung ho" about killing, ESPECIALLY killing a child no matter what the circumstances. In addition, these emotions that these soldiers are possessing that make them happy to kill are only fostering more deadly and violent ideas. This controversey follows more stories about soldiers' abuse of civilian's during the Gaza offensive. These revelations suggest a "pattern of immoral conduct in the army". How can we expect and trust that innocent civilians will behave and act morally if it isn't even expected of the federal army! This is just opening pandora's box. This isn't a few rotten apples! This is becoming the norm of this army and that is very frightening!

I do find this article reliable because of the plethora of articles I was able to find to support the first one's claim. In addition to this, an ex-soldier and campaigner of BREAKING THE SILENCE Michael Manikin, told a local newspaper that he also thinks this is a pattern. The realiability in the article also lies in the tone of the author in these articles. They do not sound bias and they do not sound excessively accusatory. To some degree they will sound like they are attacking the soldiers, but that is simply because of what they are discussing.





0 comments:

Post a Comment